Other Make Prop Posession Fun Again!

Welcome to the best TTT community on Earth
It's so awesome to see you. Sign up and join the party!
Join Now

squash

I just wanted to start this thread off by stating this suggestion may come off immediately as a bad idea to most. But I would appreciate if you go into this thread with an open mind and read my arguments.

The TTT server I got my start on forever ago did a lot of amazing things that has ruined my experience in any other server since. Simply for the fact that I felt nobody else could do it right. They were ridiculously lax and simply wanted everybody to have fun and do a lot of goofy shit to make rounds fun for everybody. Whether it be the regulars and admins who play day to day, or the new people that just joined. Every day I joined the server people were pushing the game engine and the gamemode itself to the limit to try to find more ridiculous stuff to do, it made for a lot of memorable nights and rounds. I hadn't found a similar enviroment at all until I found Crescent. You guys aren't focused on micro-managing your players or using your admin powers the second you can. It's great, and it's why I have and plan to spend a lot of time on the server. I feel like the same energy is here.

What I am proposing is an overhaul of the prop possession settings to promote a few fun ways to pass the time for spectators. Before I get into exactly what this I want to outline the exact ConVars that would be at play here.
Code:
ttt_spec_prop_control (def. 1):
Toggle whether spectators can possess props.

ttt_spec_prop_base (def. 8):
Number of prop punches in a filled punch-o-meter with no score modifier.

ttt_spec_prop_maxpenalty (def. -6):
Maximum decrease of the punch-o-meter limit for a negative score.

ttt_spec_prop_maxbonus (def. 16):
Maximum increase of the punch-o-meter limit for a positive score.

ttt_spec_prop_force (def. 110):
Amount of force by which each punch moves the prop.

ttt_spec_prop_rechargetime (def. 1):
Number of seconds for one point in the punch-o-meter to recharge.
Now the most important variables here are the prop_base and prop_maxbonus, these dictate how much energy can be stored in the bar that you see while possessing a prop. The default values are far too low for any significant manipulation or fun. Raising these would increase how much you could actually move a prop by giving you more energy punches before the bar empties. To go along with a potential change to these, the prop_force could be raised slightly as well. Not enough to makes prop fly with 3 taps of a key, but enough to really get some movement in props. Changing these values would take some trial and effort, but would make spectating a lot more fun.

Now this is where I might lose some people. The big reason I loved the prop possession ability so much in the server I talked about earlier, is because spectators could possess props and fly up into the air to goomba players. The variables were tweaked to an amount where you had enough of a bar to spam space bar to get your prop into the air, and then fly at a player to attempt to slam into their head. This may sound terrible at first glance, but allow me to explain. For most (almost 70%) maps there is not many props or enough space to allow this to even happen in the first place. There's a few things that have to align for this to even be possible.

1. A prop that you can possess (obviously, but think about maps like crummy cradle where there's not a huge abundance on the upper level, at least anywhere in the open where spectators can access and move around in the open)
2. A large enough distance in the sky to really get some movement
3. The precise movement and keystrokes to even make a prop fly up in the air, and then at a player

It is not as easy as pressing a few buttons to whip at a player from the air. You don't have the same air strafing that you do as a player trying to goomba a player. One odd tumble can completely affect the physics of a prop in the air and throw you off course. It can be incredibly hard for some props on some maps to even do this once.

The reason why I'm pushing for this and spent the time making this thread is simple. It's fun as hell and absolutely hilarious for all involved. There was much more interaction between the dead and the players. Even ignoring the potential for prop killing, with more control over props you could do so much to get laughs from both sides. You know what's possible with these edited values? A rolling melon buddy that follows you around the map until their inevitable demise from a swing from a crowbar, to a flying kasta barrel that was meant for a player, not your melon buddy ;( , etc. Spectators can disassemble a camping players barricade on a round that is taking far too long, or on the flipside assemble one for their comrade. Even as a player on your traitor round having cinder blocks flying at you from the air is funny, and really adds another layer of gameplay. You learn to pick up certain movement patterns as the flying props could be easily sidestepped and avoided. You could keep a barrel above your head to smack away flying objects like you're David Ortiz. The possibilities truly are endless and I feel like this aspect of gameplay was lost forever ago when my favorite server shut down, I'd love to see this implemented as I feel like it would be a great addition. Thanks for taking your time to read my suggestion.

(EDIT: Heavy and huge props are generally IMPOSSIBLE to fly or to get any air.)

(and if I haven't convinced you totally, there is the ability to make spectators only able to possess props after OT)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorcs and Siddo

Siddo

IQ below 0
Crescent Plus
I'm not in favour of encouraging spectators to influence rounds (this is also against our rules). For that reason, I don't support the premise of this suggestion.

That said, in certain cases, doing something like this can be harmless fun. And I am in favour of making prop possession more fun and engaging to use. I'd love to see it improved in some way, such as faster recharge, or a little more power for your charges.
Speaking for myself, I tab in and out while in spec, but prop possession can be a fun way to pass time while tabbed in.

So. Yeah. +1 on the idea of changing prop possession, but for slightly different reasons than yours. I want the melon buddy messing around, not so much the nuclear bomb in the shape of a wooden bench flying at my face at 900 mph.

squash

I'm not in favour of encouraging spectators to influence rounds (this is also against our rules). For that reason, I don't support the premise of this suggestion.
This is exactly why I made this suggestion, as I feel like it takes a certain life and fun out of the gamemode. It's not like DarkRP where there's NLR and you can't acknowledge death, etc. as I feel like it cheapens the experience. I feel like it's something that should be at least tested, as I feel like it can make certain annoying rounds go a little quicker. At the end of the day, dying to a prop from spectator should not ruin your time on the server. As there's always new rounds, new maps, new experiences. It's a video game and death should not be drawn out as long as possible, sometimes having a little driving force (like props going about) gets people to get on their shit when a majority of the server is dead.

Siddo

IQ below 0
Crescent Plus
This is exactly why I made this suggestion, as I feel like it takes a certain life and fun out of the gamemode. It's not like DarkRP where there's NLR and you can't acknowledge death, etc. as I feel like it cheapens the experience. I feel like it's something that should be at least tested, as I feel like it can make certain annoying rounds go a little quicker. At the end of the day, dying to a prop from spectator should not ruin your time on the server. As there's always new rounds, new maps, new experiences. It's a video game and death should not be drawn out as long as possible, sometimes having a little driving force (like props going about) gets people to get on their shit when a majority of the server is dead.
It's not that I don't see your perspective on this. My perspective simply differs. I don't mind harmless fun like flying at your buddy, xXx13L4CKxXx. But in my opinion, it devalues the experience to be RDM'd. That is regardless of whether it's a prop or a player. Most people will shrug it off, but it should not become the norm to be RDM'd or at risk of it, for props or players. It ruins the experience more than it improves it.

squash

It's not that I don't see your perspective on this. My perspective simply differs. I don't mind harmless fun like flying at your buddy, xXx13L4CKxXx. But in my opinion, it devalues the experience to be RDM'd. That is regardless of whether it's a prop or a player. Most people will shrug it off, but it should not become the norm to be RDM'd or at risk of it, for props or players. It ruins the experience more than it improves it.
And I understand that, but I've been RDM'd over 50 times by admins and moderators, teleported in front of moving cars. Sometimes on my T round, and its all in good fun. It's literally a part of TTT. Either way though I understand your argument.

Siddo

IQ below 0
Crescent Plus
And I understand that, but I've been RDM'd over 50 times by admins and moderators, teleported in front of moving cars. Sometimes on my T round, and its all in good fun. It's literally a part of TTT. Either way though I understand your argument.
Gonna quote myself to respond:
That said, in certain cases, doing something like this can be harmless fun.
I agree with you that it's really good to not take the game too seriously, since it's .. well.. A game. And a non-competitive one at that. I just don't agree that we should normalize "fun rdm". I'm glad you're willing to take the time to argue and discuss it though. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to do so. I appreciate it.

squash

Gonna quote myself to respond:

I agree with you that it's really good to not take the game too seriously, since it's .. well.. A game. And a non-competitive one at that. I just don't agree that we should normalize "fun rdm". I'm glad you're willing to take the time to argue and discuss it though. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to do so. I appreciate it.
I would also just like to add that there was a significant drop in RDM during the round once people started doing this in the server, for regulars it was a lot more fun to do it the prop way. Also that there is a rule in place that lets you kill afk's after OT, so I feel like this could fall into the same vein and work well. I understand the concern.