Other New Player Changes Suggestion?

Welcome to Project Crescent
It's so awesome to see you. Sign up and join the party!

West African Boner Wizard

Lurker
Crescent Plus
Hi All!

Although I am relatively new to the server, I am not new to TTT. Despite the fact that I was experienced enough to get up and running on the server by myself, I find that a lot of new players end up joining the server and being overwhelmed by content errors as well as all the exciting new systems that make Crescent TTT what it is.

My two suggestions to help appease this and maybe incentivize new players to play the server more:

1. Create a more comprehensive tutorial on troubleshooting errors for new players
With so much custom content in the server, people with less experience running this kind of thing in garrysmod can become confused and honestly, most of the time, will leave the server for a more vanilla experience. To alleviate this, I believe that when new players load in to the server for the first time, there should be an on-screen prompt indicating that they should open their F3 menu to familiarize themselves with it and acquire their starter items. It seems like a lot of the time new players end up playing a while before noticing this even exists.

Furthermore, within this first time in the menu, I believe there could be a prompt added helping people troubleshoot their missing content/textures, explaining to use the !content command, etc.

2. Upgrade the beginner crates to a purple primary and a purple secondary
Another point of conflict with new players joining the server is the skill disparity and confusion that comes along with such a comprehensive weapon modding system. I believe that introducing the idea of a weapon traits at the start of their Crescent Journey will not only help them understand weapon traits faster, but also create a larger player base faster as people will be more likely to stick around in the server to see what the hell their gun does.

I hope this post was straightforward and easy to understand. As Garrysmod grows older, holding on to new players is super important for having a healthy community. I hope this helps!

Opalium

Stay awesome
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, we're constantly on the look for ways to make the new player experience better, and to iron out any issues or quirks with this. It's a continuous effort that we hope to improve further once we're done with our more pressing needs.

1. Create a more comprehensive tutorial on troubleshooting errors for new players
With so much custom content in the server, people with less experience running this kind of thing in garrysmod can become confused and honestly, most of the time, will leave the server for a more vanilla experience. To alleviate this, I believe that when new players load in to the server for the first time, there should be an on-screen prompt indicating that they should open their F3 menu to familiarize themselves with it and acquire their starter items. It seems like a lot of the time new players end up playing a while before noticing this even exists.
This already exists. The tutorial system includes an initial pop-up that shows as soon as somebody joins for the first time, explaining how to open the Hub - in which we have additional tutorial markers with explanation on the various menus.

Furthermore, within this first time in the menu, I believe there could be a prompt added helping people troubleshoot their missing content/textures, explaining to use the !content command, etc.
This is a bit of a different story. Players who join don't need to do anything to get the required content - it's all automatically downloaded using our hot-load system. Unfortunately, due to engine limitations, this doesn't always go smoothly and some content may still fail to mount. This is mainly an engine problem that we can't do much about; however, I agree that perhaps clearer prompts should be added to help with manually troubleshooting this.
Thank you!

2. Upgrade the beginner crates to a purple primary and a purple secondary
Another point of conflict with new players joining the server is the skill disparity and confusion that comes along with such a comprehensive weapon modding system. I believe that introducing the idea of a weapon traits at the start of their Crescent Journey will not only help them understand weapon traits faster, but also create a larger player base faster as people will be more likely to stick around in the server to see what the hell their gun does.
With the upcoming changes of ReCrescent, this may become redundant. I'd hold on to this thought until the update arrives.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. You raised very good points here, and I hope we can improve on some of this ASAP.

Torbjörn

Making a chicken out of a feather!
Crescent Infinity
I often find new players leaving when they just see errors. I think it needs to be more apparent that the server is actually downloading and mounting the content and that the workshop can potentially make it go faster. I think we're missing out on new players because they just see errors walking around and don't notice the HUD element in the bottom left since it doesn't really stick out.