Denied State of the Economy, and WepMod rarity

Welcome to Project Crescent
It's so awesome to see you. Sign up and join the party!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolph1n

we ballin my ninjas ⛹️
Crescent Plus
Hello fellow croissanters, I'm here today to discuss the state of our economy and the rarity of WepMods.

To put it short and blunt, the economy fucking sucks right now. This is due to a few reasons:
1. WepMods are way too rare.
2. People (like NickleThePickle) are abusing that and overpricing their tier 2 and 3 WepMods to hell, causing the market to deteriorate even further.
3. Crafting T2 and T3 WepMods is way too difficult, given the rarity of WepMods. This makes the problem even worse, as people are way less likely to sell you their unwanted T1 or T2 WepMods, because they need to be stingy with them in order to actually craft the T2 and T3 WepMods they want.

So, what are the solutions?
1. Reduce the amount of mods needed to upgrade from T1 to T2 and from T2 to T3 from 5 -> 3. This is what it was during the open beta, and frankly that number was perfect.
2. Increase the rarity of WepMods from crates. Ideally, there should be a ratio of 3.2:1 of WepMods to weapons in terms of drops, since the average # of slots on a gun is 3.2 (2+3+3+4+4)/5= 3.2
3. Make a WepMod specific crate.

Pigeon

Pijon mustard
Crescent Infinity
I don't like solution three, I feel like it clashes with monthly rewards as there are no precious mods. I feel like the second solution is probably best.

Reactions: Harvest

jkg

The thing is, though, is that wep mods are in the same crate as weapons, so how much higher of a chance do you want wep mods to have over weapons?

Reactions: Harvest

Harvest

I'm also not too keen on WepMod crates, if it means mods would be removed from the weapon crates. I'm currently spending thousands of shards on weapon crates, and the mods are one of the few ways I make my money back.

I'd go with solution one, admittedly, though I do think it'd lead to a lot of T3 mods very quickly. I've got thirty or so T1 mods and a dozen or so T2 that would be upgraded immediately.

Dolph1n

we ballin my ninjas ⛹️
Crescent Plus
The thing is, though, is that wep mods are in the same crate as weapons, so how much higher of a chance do you want wep mods to have over weapons?
Like I said in my post, mods should have a 3.2:1 ratio to guns.

Harvest

So, having had a bit of a discussion in shoutbox/discord, and having thought about it a bit more, I'm actually changing my opinion and suggesting that the system is fine as it is at the moment. A few points that I feel are worth mentioning -

1. The lifecycle of Crescent is still in it's early stages. We're... what, just over a month in? The economy has yet to settle because there haven't been enough total drops for a clear market to emerge.

2. Everyone is using or keeping the mods they have at the moment because they don't have the guns/mods they want yet. In six months or a year's time, when people have their fully upgraded guns, they'll be more willing to sell and prices will come down.

3. Just because you haven't gotten T3 mods from crates doesn't mean they're too rare. I haven't gotten the legendary gun I want yet, but I'm not going to complain that it's too rare a drop chance. The best items in the game should be rare and require effort to get. If you want the best, you should put the time in.

4. This is what I still have after playing for a month, minus the T3 backstab I got from a crate, and a dozen or so T1 mods I sold - I'd say it's fine.

wepmods.png

Opalium

Stay awesome
Crescent Infinity
Harvest @Harvest hit the nail on its head.

Of course some items are harder to get now. With only a month since the launch, it's obvious there is going to be a shortage of some items until more of them are created. The economy is still in its growing stages, and it needs more time to settle down before we should try to identify the various trends and within it. To lower the bar now and flood the market with rare items would be disasterous in the long run. Think about a few months from now, when more players join and far more items are circulating in the market.

As for hoarding: it is, essentially, a player created and driven problem. There is very little we, as the developers, can and should do about it. Hoarders exist because there are players supplying them with these items - which it turn means there is a demand for their currency. This is a naturally diminishing effect: As more items are created and become accessible by players, there would be less need for the currency of hoarders, as items will be easier to get by. The market equalizes itself, as long as there is constant creation and destruction of items.
Hoarding is, after all, a valid tactic, like in real life. High risk, high reward, and harder to maintain as time goes on. It is not our place to interfere, and any mitigation from us will only worsen things later on.

We are constantly following the growth of the economy and adjusting things behind the scenes. We already made some tweaks in the backend as we saw potential problems rising. However, it is too early to come to any concrete conclusions about the state of the economy just yet. Don't be so quick to mourn it, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.